In this letter: The door is open to begin working or training in advanced manufacturing in Central Texas.
Of note: U.S. Sen. John Cornyn met with Central Texas businesses on June 28 to discuss the nationwide semiconductor shortage and the CHIPS for America Act.
- Samsung, AMD, BAE Systems, Dell, Infineon, and NXP Semiconductors joined Sen. Cornyn at the SAS foundry to discuss how the chip shortage affects consumers and jobs in Central Texas.
- Cornyn’s visit came before a vote in the U.S. House of Representatives on a funding bill for the CHIPS Act, which Cornyn authored. The CHIPS Act went into law on January 1 with the goal of creating new jobs and a stable supply chain in the U.S.
🎙️ “[Not only will it] produce good, well-paying jobs, but it will shore up the vulnerable supply chains that we saw exposed during COVID-19.” — U.S. Sen. John Cornyn. Read more.
Were you forwarded this email? Sign up to receive my weekly updates here.
In partnership, Tamara.
1. Manufacturing Academy produces results in Pflugerville, TX
Driving the news: Ensuring new hires get up to speed quickly, the Pflugerville Community Economic Development Corporation (PCDC) entered a partnership with Workforce Solutions Capital Area (WFS) and Austin Community College (ACC) to create a training program specific to the high-demand needs of additive and other advanced manufacturers.
- This first-of-its-kind partnership was recently profiled in Business Facilities Magazine.
How it works: Students spend 20 hours in a virtual classroom and 20 hours in a local additive manufacturing facility to be introduced to additive manufacturing, learn tool setup, operation, and equipment maintenance.
- The free 40-hour training program offers a small classroom size for maximum training on the equipment and meets all requirements for COVID-19.
- ACC provides the curriculum and training for the course in partnership with the PCDC and local additive manufacturing companies.
- The first class was hosted onsite by Cumberland Additive, Inc. All future onsite training will rotate between Cumberland, EOS of North America, and Essentium.
How it started: In spring 2020, PCDC hosted weekly virtual discussions with Pflugerville manufacturers to learn how to best support their need for a trained workforce.
- PCDC partnered with WFS through the Texas Workforce Commission’s High Demand Job Training grant program.
- Together, we’re providing up to $300K to fund curriculum development, training, equipment, and supplies for 120 students this year.
What they’re saying:
- Amy Madison, executive director of PCDC: “The pandemic highlighted some of the challenges facing less educated workers in our community … Our goal is to provide this training to 120 residents in 2021 and we are well on our way to achieving that.”
Bottom line: The grant and manufacturing program is a successful example of PCDC and employers coming together.
- For more info and to enroll in future classes, click here.
2. MFG JOBS NOW: Join us for a Central Texas hiring event
Advanced manufacturing is a key industry in Central Texas and manufacturers are hiring.
- We’re joining the Central Texas Manufacturing Partnership to host MFG JOBS NOW and connect job seekers with employers and trainings in manufacturing.
The big picture: This two-day hybrid event will feature virtual and in-person job fairs.
- August 11-12: Virtual on our EasyVirtualFair platform from 9am-2pm.
- August 11: in-person at our North Career Center from 9am-2pm.
Why it matters: As the Austin metro continues to grow, so too does the region’s advanced manufacturing industry.
- 1,700: That’s the number of new manufacturing job postings in the Austin metro in the past 30 days.
- Training residents who are motivated but lack the skills is important to growing this industry. That’s why our partners Austin Community College and Skillpoint Alliance host trainings for the Certified Production Technician program.
- This no-cost training provides industry-recognized certifications for residents to begin working in a variety of manufacturing roles. WFS Capital Area provides hiring assistance to connect grads with local manufacturers.
- Next class is with ACC and runs July 26 – Sept 3. Learn more and sign up.
How you can help: Help us spread the word! Visit our MFG JOBS NOW page to find shareable flyers, graphics, and messages.