Preparing for My Future
How Can You Help Me?
Through the Youth Employment Partnership, WFS Capital Area helps low-income youth, aged 14-24, prepare for success in the classroom – and on the job. You can receive work-readiness and life skills that will help you achieve YOUR career goals.
Funded through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), some of the services we offer include:
*Please note: Summer employment requires year round participation in WIOA.
Career Resources for Youth and Educators
Climb the Ladder CTX
Request a Career Awareness Presentation
When I Grow Up
Explore Careers High School and Middle School Workbooks
Career Awareness Webinar Series
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Youth Orientations
For Austin/Travis county residents ages 16 – 24 who are authorized to work.
The offices might be closed, but Goodwill Central Texas is still here for you! To sign up for a virtual or phone information session to learn more about Goodwill’s WIOA Youth Program, please contact us:
Call 512.748.5574 (North Location) or 512.699.9469 (South Location) or email us at email@example.com.
No sign-up or documents needed for orientation.
Add To Your Skills
Summer Earn and Learn (SEAL)
The Summer Earn and Learn (SEAL) program provides students with disabilities, aged 16 – 22, with work readiness training and paid work experience. SEAL is a statewide strategy that includes employability skills training and paid work experience for students with disabilities.
Creating pathways to employment for students with disabilities
Last year, more than 1,500 students across Texas participated in SEAL and worked in positions as design graphics assistants, customer service representatives, peer counselors and others, with 600 employers. The Austin-area program launched in 2017, with 34 youth interning at CVS, HEB, Double Tree, Hope Family Thrift Store, and the Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
Here in Austin, Colton Head participated in SEAL in 2017 and gained confidence through his work experience. Read Colton’s story here.
Are you a student interested in learning more about SEAL? Contact Goodwill Central Texas at 512.348.8289 or SummerEarnandLearn@goodwillcentraltexas.org for more information.
What Other Resources Are There for Youth?
Workforce Solutions Capital Area is not alone in serving Austin youth. On this page, you will find links to local and online resources.
- American YouthWorks – 512.744.1900 – AYW offers Pre-Apprenticeship and AmeriCorps’ “earn and learn” programs that incorporate education, job training and job placement services for young adults.
- Communities in Schools – 512.464.9723 – CIS enables young people to learn, stay in school, and prepare for a successful life by providing school-based services and links to community resources.
- Goodwill Industries of Central Texas – 512.637.7181 – Goodwill is committed to providing services that help participants overcome identified barriers to education and employment.
- LifeWorks – 512.735.2400 – LifeWorks’ mission is to transition youth and families from crisis to safety and success. LifeWorks operates three multi-service centers in Austin and four sites dedicated to housing and serving homeless and runaway youth and youth exiting foster care
CAREER PLANNING RESOURCES
Finding the Right Job for You
- Texas Reality Check – Determine how much money you will need to earn in the future to live the way you would like
- My Next Move – Identify and/or explore career options. Search job options by key words, industry or interests
- O’Net Interest Profiler – Helps you to identify possible career options based on your interests
- mySkillsmyFuture – Identify career options based on your previous jobs
- Achieve Texas – Search careers options by industry cluster
Applying to College
Paying for College
Additional Training Programs
- Job Corps – 512.665.7327 – Free education and training program that helps low-income young people learn a career, earn a high school diploma or GED, and find and keep a good job.
If you need an immediate response, please call or visit one of our three Career Centers directly.