1.1 LABOR MARKET INFORMATION. Package and publish labor market and career information to support outreach activities
- Backbone (Lead)
- Industry Partnerships (Support)
- Data & Evaluation (Support)
- Communications (Advisory)
- Education & Training (Advisory)
- Policy & Systems Change (Advisory)
1.1.1. Analyze real-time and traditional labor market information (LMI) to identify high-demand, middle-skill occupations and establish in-demand career pathways.
- Document the following for each occupation:
- Number of openings
- Minority and gender representation
- Skills and training requirements
- Available training programs
- Training capacity and completions
- Maintain a log of hiring events (expansions, relocations, lay-offs), that might significantly impact future workforce demand, to augment the LMI
- Use this information to define career pathways that are considered in-demand
- Tailor information to different audiences
1.1.2. Validate information on critical occupations and skills
- Convene 12 to 25 industry leaders for key industries to review the data on relevant middle-skill occupations and career pathways and provide input on their hiring needs, sources of talent, and preferred training providers
- Adjust the LMI and career pathways to reflect feedback from industry participants
- Sector partnerships/K-12 workgroups (healthcare & skilled trades)
FACILITATION GUIDE FOR INDUSTRY INPUT:
Critical Occupations and LMI Validation
- Have employers identify top three to five most critical occupations
- Record these occupations and group by occupational category (e.g. production, engineering, transportation, etc.)
- Lead a conversation about these occupations:
- What makes them critical?
- What skills or competencies are entry-level candidates in these positions frequently lacking?
- How would a person advance into and out of these positions?
- Use this information to map occupations and career paths in the industry
- Ask employers to validate the map and to provide additional input on preferred programs, sources of talent, and recruitment practices
1.1.3. Maintain this information in a regularly updated access point that houses a suite of information about high-demand occupations and career pathways that can be used to create materials (handouts, brochures, presentations, and more) that will support outreach activities
- Update traditional LMI on a quarterly basis as new data is released
- Release validated, more detailed information on an annual basis after industry input is completed and incorporated
Give your input: Enter comments below (please also note the organization you represent).