Texas will soon stop paying State Extended Benefits (EB) because of a decline in the state’s unemployment rate, announced by Texas Workforce Commission last week.
With the end of Extended Benefits, all enhanced unemployment benefit programs are no longer available for jobless Texans.
The state typically gives unemployed Texans 26 weeks of assistance, but high unemployment during the COVID-19 pandemic triggered EB, which provides an additional 13 weeks of benefits during periods of high state or national unemployment.
For EB to trigger, the state’s three-month average unemployment rate needs to be above 6.5%. The last of the extended assistance will be given through the week ending Sept. 11.
Workforce Solutions Capital Area will continue its work to support and connect local people to local jobs. We will continue to offer services to assist individuals in finding employment and their training needs, and will provide additional information to persons needing job assistance.
Continued supports and services we offer for businesses and job seekers include:
- Virtual hiring events
- Posting and promoting available jobs through Jobs Now and WorkinTexas.com
- Scholarships for child care
- Scholarships for job training programs
- Individually working with each employer to fill job orders
- Highlighting employers on social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube) who are hiring, offering sign on bonuses and wage increases, and more
- Offering financial incentives to businesses to grow their talent on the job
Workforce Solutions Capital Area’s three career centers across Austin are available by phone, email, or in-person to serve residents and businesses impacted by economic changes caused by COVID-19.
Residents seeking assistance can contact us at 512.549.4967 or visit wfscapitalarea.com to learn about our many other services and resources for job seekers, employers, parents, and students.
Workforce Solutions Capital Area Workforce Board is the publicly-funded workforce board for Austin-Travis County. Through strong partnerships and strategic collaborations, Workforce Solutions is leading our region’s workforce system in the development of a world-class workforce.