Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act
What does the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) program provide?
WIOA is a no-cost employment program designed to give job seekers the support and/or skills training they need to find a job. Specifically, WIOA can provide:
- Job search assistance
- Child care assistance while in training
- Transportation assistance
- Interview clothing and uniforms
- Tools needed for your new job
- Funding for basic skills and occupational training
What kind of training is available?
To ensure individuals that receive training find jobs, WIOA only provides funding for training in occupations with good earnings potential and in growing industries in Travis County – such as auto mechanics, computer support specialists and nurses. For a complete list of the occupations for which training is available, please click here.
WIOA-funded training for eligible occupations is provided by a wide variety of certified training providers in Travis County. If selected for WIOA-funded training, job seekers are able to pick the training provider of their choice. For a complete list of training providers certified for the WIOA program in the area, please visit www.twc.state.tx.us/boards.
How do I know if I am eligible?
- Must be a United States citizen or eligible to work in the United States;
- If male and born after January 1, 1960, must be registered with the Selected Service (To verify selective service registration, visit www.sss.gov); and
- Must have proof of a social security number
Eligibility individuals must also either:
$12,880 for a family of one
$17,420 for a family of two
$22,258 for a family of three
$27,479 for a family of four
$32,432 for a family of five
$37,931 for a family of six
$43,430 for a family of seven
$48,929 for a family of eight
$54,428 for a family of nine
$59,927 for a family of ten
add $5,499 for each person above 10;
2.) Must have been terminated, laid-off, or received notice of layoff from employment without fault and must be eligible for unemployment insurance;
3.) Are currently eligible for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Food Stamps;
4.) Meet Workforce Solutions’ established income levels for self-sufficiency.
* Eligibility for WIOA does not guarantee enrollment into the program or funding.
If you believe you are eligible for WIOA and want to learn more, please attend one of the weekly Career Center orientations at our three Career Centers.