Adult Education and Literacy
Adult Education and Literacy (AEL) increases opportunities for adult learners to advance to postsecondary education, training or employment.
Workforce Solutions Capital Area partners with Austin Community College (ACC) to provide AEL services to residents of Austin/Travis County. Instructors at ACC provide English language, math, reading, writing and workforce training instruction to assist adult students to earn a high school equivalency, acquire the skills they need to succeed in the workforce, and enter and succeed in college or workforce training.
ACC’s programs include:
ACC offers reading, writing, and math High School Equivalency (HSE) classes that prepare adult learners to take the HSE exam of their choice: GED®, HiSET® or TASC™. Bilingual Spanish HSE classes are also available. Go to ACC’s website to learn more and sign up.
ACC offers free career training and support for adult learners in Austin, including:
- Intro Classes: Take 8-week computer classes and get career ready. Learn more about Intro Classes.
- Computer Basics – Learn basic hardware and software vocabulary, typing skills, web browsing, email and Microsoft Office. After Computer Basics, you can repeat the class or move up to a higher-level certificate program.
- Intro to Medical – Understand the many careers of the medical field. Earn a CPR certificate. After Intro to Medical, you can move into a certificate program in the medical field.
- Intro to Business – Learn how to own and operate a small business in Austin. ACC will introduce you to a business mentor for additional personal support.
- Certificate Programs: Train for a new career and get industry certified in months. Learn more about Certificate Programs.
- Accounting/Bookkeeping – Learn how to use software like Excel to balance spreadsheets and handle accounts payable and receivable.
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) – Prepare for the state exam with hands-on experience in the classroom and as a volunteer.
- Help Desk Analyst – Are you good with computers? This class teaches you how to help others with their computer questions and problems. It requires a significant time commitment to pass certification. Jobs: help desk technician.
- Office Support – Prerequisite: Computer Basics or equivalent skills. This intermediate level course covers a variety of computer skills required in office work. Earn your IC3 certification and gain confidence in your Microsoft Office, web browsing and communication skills. Each term focuses on one of the three IC3 subjects.
- Ability to Benefit: No Diploma, No Problem! Earn a level 1 certificate. Each certificate program is between 1 and 2 years, and the classes are all credit courses. Choose from nearly 20 certificate programs in Business, Computer Science & Information Technology, and Design, Manufacturing, Construction, and Applied Technologies. Learn more about Ability to Benefit.
- Level Up: Sign up for a Level 1 college certificate using financial aid or self-financing, and ACC will support you until graduation. ACC will provide textbooks to borrow, and academic and advising support. Learn more about Level Up.
- Internationally Trained Professionals: This free training is open to adults with degrees from outside the US and who are ready to work in the US. This class is intended to help you find opportunities using your degree; it is not intended to train you for a new career. Learn more about Internationally Trained Professionals.
Read to get started? Visit ACC’s website and explore opportunities today.