Job Seeker Services
Services Available >> Workforce Investment Act Program
Workforce Investment Act Program
Workforce Solutions offers financial assistance to eligible individuals for job search assistance, training, and other support services through funding from the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) program.
Click here for a step-by-step WIA orientation
What does WIA provide?
WIA is a no-cost employment program designed to give job seekers the support and/or skills training they need to find a job. Specifically, WIA can provide:
- Job search assistance
- Child care assistance while in training
- Transportation assistance
- Interview clothing and uniforms
- Tools needed for your new job
- Funding for basic skills and occupational training
What kind of training is available?
To ensure individuals that receive training find jobs, WIA only provides funding for training in occupations with good earnings potential and in growing industries in Travis County -such as auto mechanics, computer support specialists and nurses. For a complete list of the occupations for which training is available, please click here.
WIA-funded training for eligible occupations is provided by a wide variety of certified training providers in Travis County. If selected for WIA-funded training, job seekers are able to pick the training provider of their choice. For a complete list of training providers certified for the WIA program in the area, please click here.
Am I eligible for WIA?
The WIA program is available to low-income adult workers and dislocated workers living in Travis County, Texas. Basic eligibility* for the program includes:
Eligible individuals also:
- Must have earned an annual salary less than
o $11,170 for a family of one
o $15,130 for a family of two
o $19,606 for a family of three
o $24,205 for a family of four
o $28,568 for a family of five
o $33,411 for a family of six
o $38,254 for a family of seven
o $43,097 for a family of eight
o $47,940 for a family of nine
o $52,783 for a family of ten
o add $4,843 for each person above10;
- Must have been terminated, laid-off, or received notice of layoff from employment without fault and must be eligible for unemployment insurance;
- Are currently eligible for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Food Stamps;
- Meet Workforce Solutions' established income levels for self-sufficiency.
How can I learn more?
If you believe you are eligible for WIA and want to learn more, please attend one of the weekly WIA orientations at our three Career Centers in Austin. Please bring this documentation to the orientation to help us serve you faster.
* Eligibility for WIA does not guarantee enrollment into the program or funding.
Workforce Solutions is an equal opportunity employer. Auxiliary aids and services are available, upon request, to persons with disabilities. Relay Texas: 800.735.2989 (TDD) / 711 (Voice).