Occupational Skills Training
Workforce Solutions Capital Area (WFS Capital Area) has an open application process for schools, education and training providers to provide occupational skills training enrolled in WIOA and non-WIOA workforce programs.
Occupational Skills Trainings are job specific courses, classes or programs of instruction designed to prepare customers for entry-level employment in demand occupations with career advancement opportunities.
Eligible Training Provider Certification System
WFS Capital Area accepts applications from providers interested in providing occupational skills training to individuals enrolled in applicable workforce development programs using the Texas Workforce Commission's (TWC) Eligible Training Provider System (ETPS) application process. We will only approve training programs that prepare people for employment in occupations on the Workforce Solutions Capital Area list of Approved Training Occupations.
Occupational Skills Training Provider Program Requirements:
Programs must award a competency-based credential (such as a certificate, degree or industry recognized certification/credential). Minimum performance standards have been established for initial eligibility under the ETPS:
- Program Completion Rate: 60% (or state minimum)
- Program Employment Rate: 60% (or state minimum)
Occupational Skills Training Provider Standards and Guidelines
These standards and guidelines apply to all occupational skills training providers.
All training providers must be licensed or approved by an applicable education regulating body such as, but not limited to, the Texas Education Agency (TEA), Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) Career Schools, or the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship.
Providers are required to have a published catalog that describes their courses, programs, services, cost to students, refund and attendance policies, and the criteria used to determine if students have successfully completed (graduated) from the program. We may ask providers to provide us with a copy of curricula.
We pay the publicly advertised or published rate charged to the general public. We will not pay for services that are free to the public or to non-Workforce Solutions customers.
Providers must have ADA-compliant facilities including equipment, textbooks, and software that provide reasonable accommodation for students with disabilities. Providers must own or lease the proposed training facility or have an agreement with the organization that does. Rented hotel rooms/suites are not acceptable as a training facility. Facilities may be subject to inspection by Workforce Solutions staff.
Providers, with the exception of public colleges and universities, must provide evidence of financial stability prepare by a Certified Public Accountant. Providers cannot solely rely on funds from Workforce Solutions.
Providers must have been providing education and training services for at least one year. We will not approve start-up organizations regardless if they have been licensed or approved by an applicable education regulating body.
We ask unregulated providers to provide information about the credentials and experience of the instructors who will be providing service (i.e. current resumes).
Providers must: 1) be up-to-date on all federal, state and local tax obligations; 2) not be debarred, suspended, ineligible, or otherwise excluded from participation in or receipt of federal assistance; and 3) not have any outstanding or unresolved complaints, claims or lawsuits which could impair the providers ability to perform contracted services.
Training programs must lead to one of the following outcomes upon completion in order to be considered for approval:
- A degree (associate or baccalaureate) from an accredited college or university;
- A certificate (one or two year) awarded by an accredited college or university;
- An industry-recognized certification;
- A professional license issued by a state agency;
- College credit (regular or continuing education) from an accredited college or university; or
- A Bureau of Apprenticeship Training (BAT) program certification.
- Training providers must have been operating as a training provider under the same name and location for at least one year before being eligible to apply for ETPS approval/certification by the Board.
- Training providers must have a training facility located in the Austin-Round Rock MSA in order to be considered.
- Training programs must be offered in person. Workforce Solutions Capital Area will not accept/approve applications for on-line training courses/programs.
- Training providers that have been removed from the Board approved ETPL for cause, must wait at least one year from the date of removal to reapply.
- Applications from training providers who are not regulated by a state agency or who operate under a Letter of Exemption from TWC will not be accepted. The only exceptions are institutes, continuing education or learning centers directed connected with an accredited college or university.
A training cap has been established from the program cost information submitted by the training providers in the Board’s service area. Specifically, the training cap for each program is set at:
- 100% of the public institutions’ cost information for public school training programs; and
- Up to 120% of the cost per contact hour for comparable programs at private institutions.
- For each occupational training program an average number of instructional hours has been established. The proposed number of instructional hours for a training program must fall within 50% of the average total program hours for comparable programs at both public and private institutions, in order to be considered for review/approval.
How to Become an Approved Occupational Skills Training Provider
View application information for the TWC Eligible Training Provider System
For information regarding Occupational Skills Training Provider requirements and eligibility, you may also contact Sandra Valenzuela at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512.597.7125.